On a mission for a scratch-free world
Every year around this time we're frequently visited by itchy dogs and their worried owners hoping to find something natural to help relieve their itchy skin, hot spots, and dry and cracked paws and noses.
We make a beeline straight for the Eezapet shelf (although any pet owners first point of call should always be their vet as there may be underlying conditions or allergies that need medical attention, particularly if this is new for your pet). We firmly believe every pet owner should have a jar of this in the cupboard - it comes in handy for literally EVERYTHING (we also discovered it works wonders on your cuticles)!
Eezapet started in 2011 with Salveez, a natural skincare product developed to help people with dry, itchy skin conditions like eczema. This got them thinking, what about our itchy pets? After case studies conducted by the vets at the SPCA showed the effectiveness of the balm, Eezapet launched in 2014. We've stocked Eezapet at Smack Bang since early 2018 and it's been a top seller ever since!
Alongside skin conditions like dermatitis, grass and pollen allergies are increasingly common in dogs - they can suffer from hayfever just like us! Unfortunately for them, these pollens and grass seeds can get stuck in their fur, paws and ears and are then absorbed and so starts the dreaded itch/scratch cycle.
Another common allergen, particularly in Wellington in the warmer months is Wandering Jew (aka Tradescantia and Wandering Willie) - a stubborn, invasive weed notorious for irritating our pups after a walk. Dogs who have been in contact with Wandering Jew will typically start scratching their legs and bellies and gnaw at their paws almost immediately and for days on end.
Keep an eye out for rashes, red, itchy spots or inflamed skin or paws and excessive scratching and gnawing/licking. It's important that you don't delay the treatment - the more they scratch and lick the worse it gets!
If you think your dog may have a grass allergy or has come into contact with Wandering Jew, give them a good wash after their walk with a natural dog shampoo (try Kin's Clean As Whistle Shampoo) or saline solution and grab your jar of Eezapet for the rashes to help stop the itch/scratch cycle before it starts. For tips on how to remove Wandering Jew from your backyard check out this article.
So you've eliminated Wandering Jew and grass allergies but your pet's still keeping you up at 3am scratching and slurping at their paws? Take a look at the ingredients in their food (some dog owners swear by a raw food diet), chemicals used to clean their bedding or your carpets, diffusers/automatic sprays (some common essential oils used in diffusers, like tea tree, can be toxic to pets), common household plants, shampoos, and anything else they might be consuming without your knowledge. Keep a diary of any changes you make and how your pet's skin/behaviour responds. Keeping records can also be super helpful for your vet to help determine the cause of the itching.
The Pet Poison Helpline is an amazing online resource to help you identify household plants, medications, foods and chemicals that could be causing your pet's issues. Take a look, what you find on the list may surprise you!
This wonder ointment ticks all the boxes:
- Cruelty-free. Eezapet is tested on humans first!
- 100% natural ingredients
- NZ made
- Non-toxic and safe if licked off
Perfect for cats, dogs, mice and rats, guinea pigs, donkeys and horses for:
- Wounds and abrasions: apply to cleaned wounds to aid healing
- Sunburn: helps reduce redness and stinging. Ensure your dog has enough shade when outdoors, or consider a swimming top like our Lycra Tanks to help protect their skin from our hot summer sun
- Burns: apply straight away to reduce stinging and inflammation
- Insect bites and bee stings. Important - ticks are serious business. If you spot one on your pet then you need to take them straight to the vet for safe removal
- Paw pads: cracking, blistering, cysts and cuts. We apply Eezapet to our boy's paws after a bath as a moisturiser! Note: Remember the 5 second rule when out for summer walks! Place the back of your hand on the footpath for 5 seconds. If it's too hot for you then it's too hot for them. Try to go for walks early in the morning or early evening instead, or invest in a good quality set of booties for dog's who can't avoid the footpaths (like service/working dogs). We've heard good things about the Further Faster range
- Relieves dry, itchy noses caused by heat, excessive licking, dehydration and air-conditioning
- Allergic reactions, skin rashes, hot spots, and other itchy skin conditions. Eezapet is a perfect moisturiser for wrinkly-skin breeds like French Bulldogs
- Scarring: provides moisture and promotes hair regrowth
Apply to the affected area at least twice a day (or more if required). If you can't seem to get your dog to stop licking it off, try applying before a walk or before play to help distract them. While Eezapet is contained in a (recyclable) dark amber glass jar to prevent light deterioration, it should be stored away from direct sunlight under 30deg.
The 100% natural ingredients in Eezapet include:
- Beeswax: acts as a protective, breathable barrier that locks in moisture without clogging pores and keeps out irritants. Beeswax also has anti-inflammatory and antibacterial properties with Vitamin A that help to fight dry, chapped skin and bacterial infections. Perfect for dry/cracked paws and noses!
- Sesame oil: full of antioxidants, Zinc, Vitamin A and B, sesame oil has been useful for moisturising inflamed, irritated and damaged skin for centuries
- Angelica: Enriched with Vitamin E this plant promotes hair growth
- Cinnamon: the anti-fungal, antioxidant and anti-bacterial properties of cinnamon makes it useful for healing skin blemishes and helps to fade scars
- Figwort: used externally on minor skin irritations like eczema
- Peony: peony extract has been used in skin care for centuries. It's anti-inflammatory and an antioxidant, helping to protect skin from free radical damage
- Rhubarb: is anti-inflammatory, anti-fungal, anti-bacterial and is jam packed with antioxidants including Vitamin C, beta-carotene phenolic acid and anthocyanins
Available in store and online from Smack Bang in 30ml jars and a handy 5ml 7-day size. Buy here.
Still not sure? Check out their amazing before and after shots here.
Please note, this information should not be used in lieu of advice, medications or recommendations from your vet. Always seek the advice of your vet care professional if your pet presents with skin or behavioural issues. Discontinue use if irritation occurs.